Sunday, April 11, 2010

Pancakes with crushed peanuts and sugar

I tried to make Ban Chien Kueh/Apam Balik, a pancake filled with crushed roasted peanuts and sugar. I adapted the recipe from "Pasar Malam Delights - Bilingual version", that I purchased from Malaysia for RM15 last year. (Yes, I bought about 10kg worth of cookbooks back home.. Haha.)


I first this pancake in Petaling St, Kuala Lumpur last year. There was this old man selling them. He was quite old, and he was doing this by himself..


It was a hawker food stand. Cleanliness wasn't that up to scratch of course, but they sure were yummy! Though, one time the man coughed into the pan (not purposely, just because he was choking or was sick...). Of course we didn't buy any then.


Unfortunately, I don't have equipment and utensils that look like this. So the distribution of my heating pan wasn't that great.

And unfortunately, my pancakes did not look like this...


This was crispy on the outside. But I just couldn't get mine to be crispy! :( Plus, my other issue was that my peanuts weren't so crushed. Haha.. I smashed them in a bag for a bit, but they seemed to have resisted and stayed as chunks or formed a crumb. -__-

Man chien kueh/ban chien kueh/apam balik/pancake filled with crushed peanuts and sugar
Makes about 12-24 servings depending on if you chop them into 2 or 4.

340g plain flour
70g sugar
3 eggs
425ml water
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp instant dried yeast

300g peanuts, crushed
50g sugar

butter for greasing pan

Your peanuts should be crushed more finely. I really hated the chunky texture..

Mix flour, baking soda, yeast, sugar, egg and water. Allow to rest for 1hr.

Heat a medium sized pan, grease with butter.
Pour in pancake batter. Cook until little holes start appearing. Add peanuts/sugar on top.
Cook for a little while longer.


Flip pancake in half. Press down gently.
Remove from pan, and slice into 2 or 4 pieces. Serve immediately.


Next time, I'll crush those peanuts better. Perhaps, I'll just go buy the crushed ones in the baking isle of the supermarket. Haha..

No comments:

Post a Comment