Saturday, January 31, 2009

Banana and date cake

I decided that I had to bake it tonight, whatever it was I was making. Haha. The bananas were overly ripe and I wanted to use them up fast. I couldn't decide whether to make cookies or cake. But I ended up making a cake as I threw the ingredients together whilst deciding. :)


Mmmm. The aroma of bananas and cinnamon baking in the oven :D


Banana and date cake

2 cups self raising flour
1 cup cooking oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon

2 eggs, beaten lightly
1 cup milk
1/4 cup corn oil

1 cup chopped dried pitted dates soaked in 1/4 cup water
2 overly ripe bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 175C.
In a mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder and sugar, and then mix in the oats.
Form a well in the centre, and add in milk, eggs and oil.
Mix with a wooden spoon until even.
Add in dates (it doesn't matter if it hasn't soaked up all the liquid) and mashed banana. Mix until uniform.
Pour/spoon batter into a lined or greased slice/baking pan. (I lined a slice tray with baking paper. The tray was approx. 30cm x 20cm x 2.5cm in size)


Bake for 30mins or until cooked.


Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Slice and serve.

Lining with baking paper not only prevents the cake from sticking (for easier removal without the use of oil/butter), but also prevents overflow by giving the cake additional 'walls' to rise upon. Gotta love the baking paper!


The cake was moist, banana and cinnamon fragrant and was not too sweet. It goes great with a cup of hot jasmine tea (I love my tea!) or with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream (especially good for this hot Summer weather). Too bad most of the dates sunk to the bottom though. :/

2 comments:

  1. This sounds and looks delicious!! I so like baked goods with bananas and then with dates, MMM. Bet it smells wonderful while baking! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo looks healthy but drool-worthy....i want some too ...

    ReplyDelete