Friday, January 23, 2009

CNY: Cassava cake

More CNY baking :) - Item number 3~

I decided to make a cassava cake. I bought the frozen cassava yesterday from KFL. I had a choice between 'Made in Vietnam' or 'Made in Thailand'. Haha. But I wasn't sure which to pick. So I bought 1kg of frozen cassava from Vietnam, and 1kg of frozen taro from Thailand. (I'll be using the taro tomorrow :P). I decided against buying the pre-grated frozen cassava (who knows how clean the machinery is, or what other things could have fallen into the gratings!) and used a food processor to shred it myself. Thus, this cassava cake has a rough texture.


Cassava cake
Makes a lot of servings. I'd say about 20 or so.

1kg of cassava, grated
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup sugar
200ml coconut cream (left over from yesterday's kueh bangkit)
200ml coconut milk (not sure why I opened the milk instead of another can of cream. It's practically the same apart from the viscosity anyway!)

1 tbsp melted margarine/butter for greasing

Preheat oven to 175C.
Grease a baking pan. I used an oblong cake pan. (It's quite big 32.3 x 22.8 x 5 cm)
Mix all of the ingredients together.
Bake for 30mins. By this time, the top should be cooked.
Brush leftover margarine/butter on the top.
Put back into over and bake for another 25mins or so, or until browning at the top.
Remove from oven and set aside to cool.


Cut into bitesized pieces and serve.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Chinese New Year! It is going be a delicious one at your home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Chinese New Year to you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really fun! The cassava brought me here. Will have to see if I can find coconut cream, might be fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I'm not able to eat eggs - can I just omit the eggs or would you be able to recommend a substitute?

    ReplyDelete