Friday, May 1, 2009

Baking for a birthday

This was a hideous night of 'not enough time' baking. And the fact that it was a complete disaster, disappointed me completely. There was just not enough cocoa in the cake for it to be chocolate cake! Sadly, I didn't take photos of what I made. I just didn't have time to! :( (Except for the one you see in this post, which was taken 2 days later. They looked much better 2 nights ago. I swear they did..)

I'll draw what they looked like. (Just give me some time to do that, and I'll upload a scan.)
I'd like to remember the concept of this bake even if I don't have photographic evidence of it.

Chocolate cake
Makes 48 baby cupcakes and a small-medium slice tin cake

3 cups plain flour
2/3 cup Cadbury Bournville Cocoa (This isn't enough cocoa. I'd say, probably add 2 cups+ for a cocoa taste. I didn't realise the ratio of flour to cocoa was so low because I don't write ingredients down until after I've baked.. Haha..)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda (I wouldn't add this next time, you don't need it. It creates holes)
1 cup sugar
100gm butter
2 eggs, separated
2 cups milk

Preheat oven to 175C.
Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa in a large mixing bowl.
In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
In yet another bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Then add the egg yolks one by one, along with the milk. Mix until combined.

Add the milk mixture into the dry flour mixture and mix until combined. (I usually hand mix with a wooden spoon for everything, but this time I used a electric hand mixer)

Fold in egg whites gently, bit by bit until combined.

Scoop into lined cupcake trays, and greased/line baking tin.

Bake for about 12-14mins or until cooked. (Check with a toothpick/skewer. If it comes out clean, then it's cooked!)

Transfer onto cooling rack and allow to cool before decorating.

Cupcake decoration:

200gm Dark chocolate Maltesers
150gm Dark cooking chocolate

Melt dark cooking chocolate. Dip the top of each cupcake carefully.
Allow to cool for a bit before adding a Malteser to the centre of it.
Allow to cool further until set.
Serve within 24hrs or else..

This is what it looked like, 2 nights later. There was condensation when I checked them two mornings after so I put them in the fridge. And this what what happened.

Chocolate cheesecake truffles
Makes about 35

1 chocolate cake (see above)
2 tbsp cocoa
200ml condensed milk
200gm Philidelphia Cream Cheese
100gm dark cooking chocolate (from what was left over from before)
condensed milk
dessicated coconut

Crumble up the cake in a large mixing bowl.
In another bowl, cream the condensed milk, cocoa and cream cheese.
Add to the cake crumbs and mix.
Roll mixture into little balls.
With the leftover Maltesers, smash them up into little pieces.
Dip each ball into the melted chocolate, and place onto some baking paper. Sprinkle with Malteser pieces and allow to set.
If you run out of dark chocolate (I was only able to coat about 14 of them or so), coat the balls with little condensed milk and roll into dessicated coconut.

Refrigerate overnight before serving.

I only brought these to the party, and apparently they were good. The cake tasted much better in here. So if you have a failed edible cake, then do this to it! :)

Sadly, I do not have any photos of them. I was busy and in a hurry. I just had no time. I'll make them again next time. But they will be better. It was my first time making these so of course they'll be better next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment