Friday, May 15, 2009

For citrus lovers

I bought some more bakeware the other day. In fact, I have so much bakeware that they don't have a proper home at the moment. They're just sitting.. in uh.. the lounge room on the coffee table. Yeah, I know. It's good that visitors don't drop by often! :P

I got some loaf pans, assorted mini bakeware and a small springform. Oh, and a pizza base pan too! So now I can make pizza too. Haha. :)

Anyway, back to this bake. I haven't baked for a while. I kept thinking what I wanted to bake, and was deciding whether to do something with apples or citrus. And I chose citrus! I love citrus fruits. I still had 2 red grapefruits in the house so I decided to make use of them.. along with some oranges and a lemon from our backyard. Our lemon tree is quite small, and only gives us a few lemons each time. I miss our old lemon tree. It was like the centrepiece of the backyard in my childhood house. Beautiful, large and bearing many lemons. Oh, I miss that tree. I miss that house. I want to be a little kid again..


Three citrus poppyseed cake
Makes a large loaf size

the grated peel of 2 oranges
the juice and pulp of 2 oranges
the grated peel of 2 large red grapefruit
the juice and pulp of 1 large red grapefruit
(I had 1 1/2 cups juice overall)

2 cups plain flour (should use 1/2 cup more flour)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup poppyseeds

1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup corn oil

Sift and mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and poppyseeds in a large mixing bowl.
Then add in the juices, peel, milk, egg and oil.
Use an electric mixer to mix until combined.
Pour into a lined or greased large loaf pan.
Bake in a preheated oven at 175C for 52 minutes or until cooked (poke with skewer to check)

Remove and allow to cool before drizzling with glaze.


Lemon glaze

the grated peel of 1 small lemon
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice (it was all the lemon gave me)
1/2 tsp milk
4-5tbsp icing sugar

Mix together until smooth and drizzle over cake.
Sprinkle with left over lemon peel.


Allow to set before serving. It's pretty cold tonight, and the glaze has set pretty fast. Haha~
I'll see what it tastes like tomorrow. Right now, I know that it smells nice. :) Hopefully it's edible!


Well, unfortunately... it was a bit dense (higher liquid to flour ratio yet again). :( But the flavours were good! Strong citrus flavour (You probably won't like it if you don't like citrus much). Just the way I like it! :D Mmm.. yummy lemon glaze.

Overall, I'm disappointed but satisfied. :) Hopefully it will be better next time!

3 comments:

  1. Where's the sour cream??? Everything tastes better with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such amazing information.... if you love fruits just like me....please check out the blog mentioned below its really cool....!!!im sure you'll love it!!!

    http://staysharpwithfruits.blogspot.com
    http://staysharpwithdiet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete