Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Chè Bắp (Vietnamese rice and corn pudding)

Last time I made risotto. This is almost like the sweet Vietnamese version. Similar procedure.
My mum is usually the one who makes this. But this time I decided to give it a try. I was thinking of using 2 cups of glutinous rice. Luckily she informed me that 1 cup makes a lot. And it surely did! Now we have a lot of Chè Bắp.


There's a lot of different types of Chè. It's a Vietnamese dessert and there's different flavours and such (I don't know all of the types because I'm not Vietnamese). I remember when I was in California about 4 years ago, we visited and saw Chè shops (cafes if you'd like to call them that) in the Vietnamese district (Westminster, I think). I still don't see those here today in Melbourne though, even with the high population of Vietnamese. Unless there are some around Springvale or Footscray that I don't know of. But somehow I doubt it. Anyway, I found those Chè places intriging. They make a lot of money apparently. And there were quite a few customers at the time I was in one of those places.

This type of Chè is pretty simple to make. It's quick, easy, yummy and filling!

Chè Bắp (Vietnamese rice and corn pudding)
Makes about 12-15 servings

1 cup glutinous rice, washed
2 cups corn kernels (I used frozen corn kernels)
10 cups water (5L)

1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt

1 1/2 cans coconut cream/milk (I used 400ml cans, so use 600ml)
1 tbsp tapioca starch

In a large deep pot on high, cook rice and corn with all of the water. Mix every few minutes to prevent rice/corn from burning at the bottom. (It took me about 35-40mins)


Simmer on low until 90% of the water is gone.
Add the sugar and salt and mix. (Taste test to see if sweet enough for your liking)

Mix/dissolve tapioca starch with a little of the coconut cream/milk. Then add it, along with the rest of the coconut cream/milk to the pot.
Mix and simmer for another 10-15mins or until consistency is thicker.

Note: The Chè will thicken more when it cools.

Serve warm, or chilled. (I like it chilled, especially on a hot day like today)
Another suggestion is to serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream :D

No comments:

Post a Comment