Saturday, March 7, 2009

Mars bar cookies

First week back at uni, and I'm already drained. (Although I didn't have that many classes anyway. I think it's the stress of what's to come..)
I was looking forward to the weekend so that I can do some cooking and baking (and some studying/revising, which I've yet to do..)

What do you do when you have Mars bars, but you don't really like them so you don't eat them?


Make Mars bar cookies! That's what. :D

I made cookies for my sister, so that she can bring them over to a friend's place. Haha. (I wanted to bake and she wanted to bring something). Well, they're supposed to be cookies. But they're soft cookies with a slight chewiness because of the melted nougat/caramel.


Large soft Mars bar cookies
Makes about 24 cookies

2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp cocoa

1/2 cup sugar
75gm butter, at room temp and cubed

1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
3/4 cup milk

8 funsize Mars bars (8 x 22g), chopped up

Preheat oven to 175C.

Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa in a mixing bowl.

In another mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Then add egg and vanilla extract and mix.

Transfer butter mixture into flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until combined. (Note: it may start to get harder to mix at this point. Like a thick goey mixture. I had to exert quite a bit of energy to mix mix mix!)
Add in the chopped Mars bars and mix some more.

Scoop onto a lined baking tray. (Remember to leave at least 2.5cm between each scoop)
Bake for 20mins.

Remove from oven and let cool for about 10mins before transferring onto a cooling rack. Note: For me, the cookies spat out the nougat pieces whilst in the oven. The cookies looked completely hideous. I used a spoon to quickly push the liquefied nougat back into a normal round cookie shape before it would cool down. You should do that too unless you want abnormally abstract looking cookies.. Haha.

Store in an air tight container.

Before I got the chance to take any photos last night, 2 had already been devoured by my mum and sister. I let them because there's plenty there. (They're not mine anyway. I don't want to eat any of it. But I did try half a cookie to taste test)

See the nougat and chocolate?

And the gooey caramel?

I broke one in half and there was a cave of hidden liquefied nougat (as you can see). Hehe.

It's a nougat surprise! :D


They're soft on the inside with liquefied nougat surprises, and slightly chewy on the outside because of the baked caramel/nougat. The cookie itself is almost cake like because I used more milk than butter as my liquid, and isn't all that sweet if you disregard the Mars bar pieces. I truly hope they are sweet enough for people's tastes. Because to me, this is sweet enough. I don't really like things that are too sweet. My tastebuds don't like it. :P

10 comments:

  1. I love Mars Bars cookies! What an awesome recipe! lol, I want some now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ninda. Make some for me..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who's Anonymous? I can assume who it is, but I could be wrong. Haha.. Be more specific to who you are or you'll get no cookies :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, you never included what to do with the milk? I assumed that i just added it in when i mixed everything else up =] they are DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. had a mars bar cookie at uni yesterday and came online straight away to learn how to make it hehe got all the ingredients hope it turns out as good as ur ones look :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gonna go try and make them now! lol they look soooooooooooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm making them now! To solve the leakage issue, I'm baking them in muffin pans :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello is it necessary to put in cocoa?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cocoa gives them a chocolate flavour, and the brown appearance. No cocoa = no chocolate flavour apart from the Mars Bar bits and no browness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You didnt say when to add the milk in the recipe and also what size spoon to use for the dropping of the mixture to get your size cookies? Had a go at making them anyway, size was a bit of a problem but son loved them so thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete