Sunday, March 29, 2009

Orange poppyseed cupcakes

My sister wanted to bake something to bring to work for her birthday. So I gave her some suggestions. "Orange poppyseed cupcakes?" "Sure! Do you have a recipe?" "Umm. Hold on a second and I'll conjure one up for you.." Haha. So I made up a verbal recipe for her, and it turned out disastrous!


Orange poppyseed cupcakes
Makes about 44 cupcakes

3 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup corn flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup poppyseeds
1 1/3 cup sugar (I believe this is too much sugar. I'd say only use 3/4 - 1 cup only)

1/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice/pulp (I would suggest switching the amount of milk with the amount of orange juice and vice versa instead, for a more orangey taste)
grated orange rind
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs, separated

Preheat oven to 165C.

Sift flours, baking powder, sugar and poppyseed together.
In another mixing bowl, mix milk, orange juice, orange rind, egg yolks and oil together.

Beat the egg whites in another bowl until stiff peaks have formed.

Mix the milk mixture into the flour mixture until well combined. Fold in the egg whites.

Scoop into greased muffin tins or cupcake lined tins, until about 3/4 full.

Bake for about 15 minutes or until cooked.

Remove and allow to cool on a cooling rack before serving.


They.. turned out yellow and nowhere near orange! I did tell her to add more orange juice as her liquid.. but nooo.. she couldn't be bothered juicing another orange for its juice. -__- I informed her. It's her own fault!

The texture was quite good, but I found them just a tad sweet and barely had an orange flavour. So it was quite disappointing. I'd like to make my own orange poppyseed cupcakes/muffins. I like them. I see the gigantic ones at uni for $2.50 and am tempted to buy one until I tell myself that I can make my own ones freshly (one day). Oh well. I'll bake my own one day, with the orange glaze/icing and all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment