Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Snowballs?

Not sure what I made. But I mixed and mixed and then baked. :)


I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out.. but when I tried one the next day, I finally knew what they were! Hehe.

They were.. apricot oat slices! (in disguise) :D


Apricot oat snowballs/Apricot oat slice
Makes about 24 (~2.5-3cm diameter in size)

1 1/2 cups plain flour
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp honey
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg
1 cup dried apricots diced, soaked in water for an hr then drained.
extra desiccated coconut for coating

Sift and mix plain flour with baking powder, sugar, coconut and oats.

Combine with egg, honey and apricots. Mix.

Roll into little balls and coat with coconut. (Or place all of the mixture in a lined slice pan and then sprinkle the top with coconut)

Place on a lined baking tray and bake at 170C in a preheated oven for 15mins.

Remove from oven and allow to cool. (While still warm, slice to pieces if baking slices instead of balls)

Store in an air tight container and consume within a few days.


These were actually quite nice! :) Mum liked them too. They're soft, but not dry and crumbly even when you can feel the texture of the coconut and oats still. The apricots gave a good moisture to it, and the sweetness is just right. (If you don't like the tang of the apricots, this is where the white chocolate/yoghurt chocolate comes into play. See below). I think they taste just like the apricot oat slices that they sell in supermarkets/vending machines. If you want them to look more like those slices though, all you do is bake a slab and slice them up into rectangles. Then you can drizzle some yoghurt chocolate/white chocolate over the top! :) Simple right? And the best thing is, it's fresh and healthier!

10 comments:

  1. With oats? I have to try these snowballs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh! recipe looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look good! I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the sound of oat snowballs with apricot centers. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun when you even surprise yourself with a baked treat. They sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to make these, but when I added the wet ingredients, the mixture was too dry. I ended up adding another egg and some water, so the resulting cookie was a little denser than I would have liked although still very tasty.

    Is there a specific technique you used to "wet" the whole mixture with one egg?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The liquid in the mixture was from the soaked apricots, honey and egg. I'm sorry that your mixture came out too dry. My apricots must have been soaked up well, or not completely drained? Because I don't remember my mixture being that dry. It wasn't soggy, but wet enough to roll into balls.

    If your mixture does become too dry, add some more honey to it (and perhaps a little water). Or if you don't mind butter, add some melted butter to it. Hopefully that will solve any dry problems..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I'll give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!! i just wanted to say (for ages) that I have been following your blog and i LOVE IT!! I found ur blog on my friends blog and I've enjoyed reading through all your recipes :) because there is such a variety and most of the ingredients are pantry items or not that hard to get! I just baked these cookies yesterday and gave them to my colleagues to try today. They all loved them so thanks! i hope you don't mind if I share this recipe on my blog~~

    ReplyDelete