Sunday, April 19, 2009

The best pancakes!

I used to not eat breakfast. Throughout primary school and highschool, I would skip breakfast. I just didn't have an appetite so I just couldn't eat. Only up until the past 2-3 years have I eaten breakfast. And up until last year, I've been having it daily. Why? Because I fell in love with cereal. I used to hate eating cereal because it got boring eating the same cereal. So I decided to buy a variety of cereals. And it works. I didn't get sick of cereal. I have quite a few boxes of different cereals waiting to be eaten.

Uncly Tobys Sultana Oat Crisp, Sanitarium Weet-Bix, Sanitarium Light and Tasty Three Berries, Sanitarium Wild Berry Weet-Bix bites, Sanitarium Light and Tasty Apricot, Kelloggs Just Right, Kelloggs All Bran Dual, Kelloggs All Bran, Kelloggs Crunchy Nut, Sanitarium Light and Tasty Macadamia with oat clusters, Kelloggs cornflakes and Kelloggs Crispix to name a few. Okay, that wasn't a few. Haha. But it's not all though. The nutty ones are for my sister and I don't really like them. I'm like the cereal regulator. I'm the one that keeps track of the cereal and buys them. Yes, I buy a lot of cereal. If I could, I'd eat cereal for lunch and dinner as well. I love cereal that much! I'm a cereal killer. But.. I'll discuss my cereal obsession another day.

Sadly, today.. I ditched the cereal. I'm sorry cereal, it's only for one day. I still love you!

Last night, I decided that I wanted to make pancakes. Not just any pancake, but banana pancakes! (There's a lot of bananas in the house! :D)


And these were the best pancakes I've ever made!
So soft.. so delicious!! .. I love you!

Banana yoghurt pancakes
Makes about 12

1 tsp cream of tartar
1 2/3 cups milk

2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp sugar

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup banana and honey yoghurt
1 medium ripe banana, mashed

Mix cream of tartar with milk. Leave for 5 minutes.

In a large mixing bowl, sift flour with baking powder, sugar and cinnamon.
Make a well in the centre and add the milk, egg, yoghurt and vanilla extract.
Mix until well combined and then add the banana and combine again.

Let the mixture sit for 10-15mins. (I didn't leave it for long though, because I was late in making breakfast. I thought it would be brunch, but I ended up eating it for lunch. Haha)

Grease a pan with little margarine and quickly add 3-4 tbsps of the batter into the pan.
Cook on med-low for a few minutes (watching for bubbles appearing and batter setting, as well as checking the bottom to see if it's burnt), before flipping the pancake over.

The pancakes should rise and feel soft and fluffy.


Serve warm, as is..


or with some golden syrup/maple syrup, extra bananas and/or cinnamon. (Or with some vanilla ice-cream if not consuming for breakfast! Whatever you fancy or have on hand really!)


Deliciously soft and fluffy with a yummy banana taste! It is exceptionally good with extra golden syrup and cinnamon! I could have added some extra sliced bananas, but I'd be way too full.


Looks like one gigantic plate of giant-sized pancakes that she looks deviously happy to devour. :P

Okay, and here it is again. The best pancakes so far! Mmmm.


Mmmm. I'm so full right now. :)

Delightfully full.

14 comments:

  1. We are already Banana Pancake freaks!! We do like the sound of yours? So light & fluffy.. We will try these for sure. Best from Santa Barbara. s

    ps...we love cereal too??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fluffy like my pillow. I want to curl up with these pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soft and fluffy... sounds very yummy. I'll try it for breakfast next weekend and slather it with maple syrup or maybe do like what my friend said, put some sugar then squeeze some lemon juice oh yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a joy to start you day like this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fluffy and delicious looking :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. These definitely look more appetising than boxed breakfast cereal - thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't a breakfast person either.. now I can't stop eating! I love pancakes.. yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Try these with butter mixed with honey and cooled chopped toasted pecans. You will love them even more, oh and so cute if you cool this mixture and shape into big round balls to float on top of the pancakes. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i absolutelyabsolutely lovvvvve pancakes. its like some crazy obsession of mine. not a big fan of bananas though but i will try this recipe out cos they just look oh so fluffy and delicious!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look so light and fluffy!! We are big pancake eaters in this house - it is a staple around here on Sunday mornings!! Will add this variation to the must make list!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you ever heard the song banana pancakes? I think Jason Mraz sings it. Either way, banana pancakes are so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my goodness! these banana pancakes look amazing!! They look so fluffy, I can't wait to try it, thanks for the recipe! =P

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Hilary - banana pancakes is by jack johnson, and i LOVE THAT SONG!!! haha

    oh my goodness, these look soooo yum.

    you're my hero! come cook for me!!!! hahaha

    (and i'm glad someone else likes alot of different cereals. do you mix them together sometimes? haha i felt so alone until now :D)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How can you go back to cereals after this?
    your pancakes are really impressing. How do you get them so fluffy?

    Maybe I'll try this recipe this weekend. Just bought a bag of overripe bananas for baking purpose.

    ReplyDelete