Thursday, January 22, 2009

CNY: Green pea cookies

Chinese new year is a few days away (26th January. Same day as Australia Day this year!). So I'm starting to make some CNY food. :)

Last year, I wasn't home for CNY as I was in Singapore with my cousin (It wasn't planned. We forgot to check the dates and it just so happened that it was CNY whilst we were there). Haha.. and an eventful night it was. It was the worst time to be a tourist over there. 99% of the shops were closed for the 3 day CNY period. Unfortunately, we didn't get to do enough tourist shopping. But never mind that! I'm going to Sg again soon. And I will do a lot of shopping!! :D

First up, green pea cookies! They're like the peanut ones, but made with roasted green peas. (The ones you buy from the snack section of an Asian grocer). I really dislike the peanut cookies. Well, for one thing, I don't really like peanuts.. Anyway, you need to grind the green peas before you can use them.


These are the roasted & salted green peas (180gm) that I used . I got them from KFL for $1.80.

I used a coffee grinder to grind the green peas. Shown in the photo are the peas half pulverised. You want to grind them to a fine powder.


Green pea cookies
Makes about 52 small cookies

180g roasted green peas, ground (leave around 55-60 green peas alone for later)
1 1/4 cup plain flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp corn oil

1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 165C.
In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, peas and icing sugar. (If not all peas are ground finely, it's okay. Just add them in aswell). Mix.


Add oil until even. The mixture should not be soggy, nor too dry. (I only used the amount of oil stated, and it was enough for the cookies to hold)


Roll into little balls using your finger tips. (I tried rolling with my palm but it was too crumbly. If you want to roll with your palms, you'll need to add more oil to your mixture).


Brush with egg. Press a pea onto the top of each.


Brush with egg again.
Bake for 15-20mins or until slightly golden.
Allow to cool before storing in air tight containers.

4 comments:

  1. great idea on decorating with a pea on top! gong xi fa cai btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the taste of these. I've never tried it before, so it was interesting.

    Gong xi fa cai to you too rokh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. another idea you can also so sweet potato cookies if your your just trying to find cookies that taste Delicious and are healthy because they're made out of vegetable

    ReplyDelete