Saturday, January 17, 2009

Three berry yoghurt muffins

The best muffin mixture I've ever made/created :)

I've never tried yoghurt muffins before, but the texture is amazing! It's the best muffin base ever! And I'm going to use this recipe a lot from now on. Hehe.


I bought blackberries and raspberries yesterday. So I decided to use them in muffins. I initially wanted blueberries.. but decided to try this instead. The third berry is actually in the yoghurt. Haha. Strawberry yoghurt. :)


So there you go.
I did not lie.
Three berry muffins.
For you to try.


Three berry yoghurt muffins
Makes about 12 normal muffins (I got 6 heart muffins and 6 bear muffins out of it)

2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/3 cup sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla extract
7 tbsp milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup strawberry yoghurt (I used Yoplait Lite - Strawberry, but you can use any yoghurt)
2 tbsp vegetable oil

100g raspberries, washed
10 blackberries, washed and halved (yes, I counted 10 blackberries. So that's 20 pieces all up)

Preheat the oven to 180C.
In a mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and sugar.
Mix with a wooden spoon, then create a well in the center.
Add in yoghurt, milk, egg, vanilla extract and vegetable oil.
Mix until smooth and combined.
Add in berries and gently fold them in until mixture seems uniform. (Note: you must be gentle as the berries are very delicate and will be mashed up if you aren't! )
Lightly grease baking trays or line muffin tin with paper cups. (I couldn't do that, so I lightly greased the silicon pans with margarine)
Spoon batter into muffin pans - 85-90% full. (I used Willow silicon bears and hearts)
Bake for 20minutes or until cooked. (Do a poke test in the center of a muffin using a toothpick to see if any batter comes out. If toothpick comes out clean, then it's cooked)
Remove from oven and let cool for a minute or so before transferring onto a cooling rack.
Serve as is, or sprinkled with icing sugar.


The blackberries weren't so sweet, though the raspberries were fine. I should have actually coated the blackberries in icing sugar prior to adding to the mixture. But I'm fine with the slight sourness of the muffins because of it. There aren't many blackberries in it anyway, so the sourness isn't overpowering and horrible. I like the muffins just the way they are. (But I won't use blackberries again though :P).

Yoghurt muffins are the best! The best texture ever! :D


Look what my sister did to the poor bear. :(

3 comments:

  1. How adorable are these! They looked fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :)

    The bears looked kinda scary though. Berries look like blood.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for nice recipe, muffins are unusually moist what I like :) I used frozen berries so heat them up with a bit of icing sugar,muffins are fruity and sweet:)

    ReplyDelete