Thursday, July 16, 2009

One thing to another

I love glutinous rice, glutinous rice flour, rice flour.. etc. Asians love to cook desserts with this stuff. With mung bean, coconut milk/cream, sago, ginger, tapioca, coconut, etc etc.

I had a craving for 'tong yuen'. It's usually eaten during 'Winter Soltice' which is later in the year, but I wanted to eat some now. Haha. So I made some! :) I'm sure most Asians are familiar with the taste of these things. (Chinese, Malay-Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Indonesian..etc all have similar types of such desserts).

But, I don't have a recipe for this. (Because I didn't take any measures down). I also rolled some in coconut as well. Oh, and I also tried making some rice cakes for tteokbokki (Korean spicy rice cakes). They're currently sitting in the freezer, as I've yet to make the dish. Hehe. I'll post a recipe when I do so.

Anywho, I had ginger syrup and coconut leftover from the 'tong yuen'. So.. I made a banana, coconut and ginger loaf. :P Unfortunately, the ginger taste was masked. There's only a very slight hint of it. :( I wished I had some more ginger. I don't even have ginger powder in the house! (I ran out long long ago and just haven't bought any)


Banana, coconut and ginger loaf
Makes a small/medium loaf (12 slices)

1 2/3 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup dessicated coconut
2 tbsp sugar (add more depending on how sweet your syrup is)
1 ripe banana
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup ginger syrup (which I had left over from 'tong yuen' - glutinous rice balls in ginger syrup. It's just sugar, water and ginger pieces.)
1 tbsp minced ginger (the ginger pieces from the ginger syrup)

Sift and mix flour, baking powder, sugar and coconut in a bowl.
In another bowl, mix egg, milk, syrup, ginger and banana.
Slowly combined the liquid mixture with the dry mixture.
Pour into a lined/greased medium loaf pan.
Bake in a preheated 175C oven for 45mins or until cooked.
Cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.


Yum yum :)

2 comments:

  1. Yummy, Yummy, Yummy, looks delicious with a cup of coffee or tea on a Saturday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...I bet this would be fantastic as french toast with a twist.

    ReplyDelete