Saturday, November 5, 2011

'Sexy cookie'

Everytime I think of madeleines, I think of 'sexy cookie'. Haha. If you've watched the Kdrama 'My name is Kim Samsoon', then you'll understand where I'm coming from. :P It's one of my favourite Korean dramas. :)

Well, what are madeleines, you ask? They're basically a French shell shaped cake cookie. I've never actually eaten one before this.. :/


I've been meaning to make madeleines since the past 2 years. I've bought the madeleine pans a long time ago but have just never used them. So I finally decided to make them the other day!

Lemon madeleines
Makes about 17

4 eggs, separated
180g plain flour
2tsp baking powder
120g butter melted, cooled
100g caster sugar
zest of 1 large lemon
lemon juice, for brushing
icing, for dusting

Sift flour and baking powder in a bowl.

In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks, lemon zest and 50g of sugar.

In yet another bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks, then gradually add the other 50g of sugar, whisking until smooth and glossy.

Fold in one third of the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
Then fold in half of the flour mixture.
Add another third of the egg whites.
Then fold in the remaining flour until just combined.
Finally, fold in the rest of the egg whites and when just combined, fold in the melted butter. (Careful not to overmix)

Allow to rest for 30mins.

Preheat oven to 180C.

Pipe mixture into greased madeleine pans.


Bake for 8-10mins until golden brown. Watch them growww! :D


Allow to cool slightly before removing from pans and allowing to cool on a cooling rack.


Brush with lemon juice and dust with icing sugar.


Serve immediately, or on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment