Monday, February 9, 2009

Apricot and coconut oat cookies

I had to bake cookies. Healthier cookies. I was going to wait until tomorrow, but I couldn't. I had to bake tonight. I just had to. I'm leaving on Wednesday and will be gone for about 2 weeks, so tomorrow is my last chance to bake. I'm making some muffins tomorrow and I'll bring some to the airport as well. :D


No added butter. No added margarine. No added oils. No added sugar. No added flour either.


These cookies are all about the oats. But what's so good about oats? Apparently they're a good source of soluble fibre, helps reduce the risk of heart disease, lowers cholesterol and stabilises blood sugar levels as well. (I had to google that to know). I used oats because it was a grain and that I didn't want to use flour. Haha.

Apricot and coconut oat cookies
Makes about 50 small cookies

2 cups ground oats (~2 1/3 cups quick cooking oats before being finely ground)
1 cup quick cooking oats (not ground)
2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup dessicated coconut
200gm dried apricots, cut up
1 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten lightly
1/4 cup honey, heated to a less viscous consistency (I microwaved it for ~20secs)

In a large mixing bowl, mix ground oats, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and coconut. Then mix in the apricots.

In another bowl, mix milk, eggs and honey.

Add the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and mix to combine. The mixture should not be too liquidy nor too solid. It should be sticky-like.

Roll dough into little balls and place on a baking paper lined tray. Press down gently to flatten the cookies out.

Bake at 165C in a preheated oven for 16mins or until the base is golden brown for soft cookies. (Carefully lift a cookie up to check. Be careful as it might be hot). Or for another 10-15mins for crunchier cookies.


They're not very sweet but are very cinnamon fragrant. Suits my liking, but may be tasteless to others. The soft cookies taste like doughnuts (healthier doughnuts!). I wanted them crunchier. I think these taste better crunchier, but that's just my personal preference. When I woke up this morning, approx half the batch had already disappeared. Hahaha.

I re-baked half of what was left. So now I have both crunchy and soft cookies to suit different tastes. :) They're a healthier snacking option if you're afraid of butter, oils and sugar. (In which I am. It either sends my heart rate mental or makes me feel gluggy inside.)

8 comments:

  1. These look so yummy!
    After seeing some other cookie recipes with crazy sugar content (i'm talking enough to make you diabetic just thinking about it) it is such a relief to know that there is a recipe for (sort of) guilt free treat.
    Might try these out for valentines day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what can i substitute the dried apricots for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can substitute the dried apricots for any form of dried fruit. For example: dried berries, dried apples, sultanas..etc. These aren't so sweet either, so if you'd like them sweet, add 1/4-1/2 cup of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! They're kind of like ANZAC biscuits but without the butter and flour...and sugar! All of which I do not like to consume. I will have to give these a try. I'm thinking to do half apricot and half prune.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I baked these tonight:) They're good! I do think I will use both apricots and prunes next time. I like the fact they have no sugar, fat, flour yay!:) I'll post a pic on my blog when I update it on Sunday:)
    I like your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used this recipe but baked it in a slice tin and then cut into muesli bars. You are right they are not overly sweet and I find that nice especially with the tangy apricot flavour!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever made these without the coconut? Or substituted the coconut for something else, like maybe sesame seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I haven't used sesame in place of coconut, but I suppose that is a possibility. Give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete