Saturday, January 16, 2010

Penguin Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes

Hello hello. I wanted to make some cupcakes for a friend. After thinking about what to make, I decided on chocolate cherry mudcake cupcakes decorated with fondant icing. I decided to try and make fondant myself as I've heard many un-delicious things about premade Orchard Fondant Icing. (Though, I've never tried it myself..)

Well here they are. My Penguin Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes! :) Hehe.


It was very fun to make and I'm so proud of myself. Haha.

If anyone would like custom made decorated cupcakes, I can be of service to you~ Pay me and I can make pretty much anything for you! :D
(Personal requests only. Only for friends or people I know. So long as I can meet up with you on delivery)

I dream of one day opening up a bakery..


One day..

one day.. :)

Chocolate cherry mudcake cupcakes
Makes about 7

125g frozen cherries, thawed
35g plain flour
35g self raising flour
1 tbsp (5g) cocoa powder
1 egg
1/4 cup (60ml) milk
52g dark chocolate
63g butter
100g sugar

In a saucepan, melt chocolate, butter milk and sugar on low heat until combined.
Leave to cool for 20minutes or so.
Whisk in flours and cocoa.
Then whisk in egg.
Add frozen cherries and any juice it comes with to the mixture.
Scoop into cupcake patties until 80% full.
Bake in a preheated 150C oven for 30mins or until cooked.

Allow to cool before decorating.

Okay. This one was the first penguin that I made. Pretty ugly huh? :(

Modelling fondant
Makes about 285g of white fondant

250g icing sugar
2 tsp light corn syrup or glucose (I used Karo Light Corn Syrup with Vanilla)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tbsp warm water
2 tsp gelatine

Dissolve gelatine in water. Add vanilla extract and corn syrup/glucose.
Mix into sifted icing sugar until combined. A dough should form.
Wrap with clingwrap if not in use as it dries out and hardens.

Decorate as necessary using food dyes.


The fondant will harden over time, so be quick with modelling. Also, to help fondant stick to cake and eachother, simply brush with water.

It is a timely process, but I think it's worth it. If you don't have the time, pay me and I'll gladly do it for you! ;D

7 comments:

  1. You are the bestt!! I will eat it with Pumpkin tomorrow :)

    Love love love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you have done with your site and the penguins are enchanting. I really enjoyed it. Shall return for another bite of your foodie magic. Thank you for sharing,
    Cheers, PT
    You can visit me at http://ptsaldari.posterous.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these cupcakes - your little penguins are adorable. Your homemade fondant also looks much tastier than shopbought :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello :D these look amazing!!! Just wondering how you improved the fondant? from the first try to the second??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi aeolytheis, it was the same fondant still. For the very first penguin, I kneaded in the food dye, which made the colour too light. The second penguin I made, I simple just 'painted' the outside of it. Much much better! And easier too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so darling! I love that little guy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete