Thursday, February 11, 2010

CNY: Pineapple tarts and strawberry hearts

This is my first time making these. And this is my last CNY bake for this year.

I had brought back some jam tart cookie cutters from Malaysia last year, and was itching to use them! I guess these are like jam thumbprint cookies, without the need to thumbprint them. Hehe. Because CNY falls on the same day as Valentine's Day, I made pineapple tarts and strawberry hearts! :)

Pineapple tarts using home made pineapple jam.

Strawberry hearts using store bought jam.

Hearts win! ;)

Pineapple tarts
Makes about 65

125g butter
275g plain flour
50g custard powder
80g icing sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract

Beat egg yolks, butter, vanilla and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
Sift in flour and custard powder.
Combine thoroughly and form a dough. Add more flour if too sticky still.


Roll out and use cookie cutters.


Place onto a lined baking tray.


Fill with jam. (See below for pineapple jam)


The two cookie cutters gave 6 designs. :D

Bake in a preheated oven at 160C for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.


Allow to cool before storing.

Pineapple jam

420g canned pineapple, drained and shredded
150g sugar

In a saucepan, cook pineapple and sugar on low heat until soft and mushy.
Continue to cook until most of the liquid is no longer there, and the mixture is of jam consistency.
Allow to cool before using.

9 comments:

  1. wow, these look so pretty! wish I could grab a handful!:)

    btw, I'd like to invite you to submit these in my Valentine Day $50 giveaway on my blog! details here:

    http://www.funandfoodcafe.com/2010/02/valentine-super-bowl-recipe-carnival.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing and all the cookies look so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww. these are sooo cute!!:) absolutely adorable! my mom makes rose-shaped ones every year:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of celebrating both V-Day and CNY's with one recipe. (I know what I'm baking for Valentine's Day but I have no idea what to make for Chinese New Year's.) Btw, your tarts look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the cookie cutters you got. and you made such lovely cookies with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOw very pretty. How were you able to do 6 designs with only 2 cutters?

    ReplyDelete
  7. They were awesome cutters that I got in KL! I also found them in Sg recently too. The round/flower one had 2 different outer designs and 2 different imprints.. giving you 4 combinations! Then the heart one had one outer design (ie. the heart) and 2 different imprints. Genius cutters right? Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you can get the cookie cutters at www.browncookie.com

    ReplyDelete