Friday, January 23, 2009

CNY: Cornflake cookies

CNY item #4. I've made three types of cookies so far, with 3 different textures: crumbly, melt in your mouth and crunchy. Well, I think these are crunchy. I hope they are!


Cornflake cookies
Makes about 49 cookies

175gm butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk powder
3-4 cups fairly crushed cornflakes (~5 cups before crushing)
1/3 cup sultanas/raisins

Preheat oven to 180C.

In one mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, vanilla essence and milk. Mix.

In another bowl, sift flour and baking powder . Mix in crushed cornflakes and sultanas.
Add in egg/butter/sugar mixture, and mix until combined. (If mixture is too dry, you'll have to add more softened butter or even margarine.)
Roll into balls and place onto lined baking tray. Press down gently for a flat surface.


Bake for 12mins or until golden brown.
Cool on wire rack before storing in air-tight containers.

Look! It's a cornflake cookie moon :P

8 comments:

  1. Ive never had cookies made with cornflakes before. I bet my children would enjoy them. Think they could sub as a breakfast?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try these! I made cereal snaps (you can see them on my blog) cookies with rice crispies, but Ive never tried cornflakes in cookies! I will have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look yummy! I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just curious, for the butter are you using salted or unsalted butter?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used salted butter. A little bit of salt gives food a better taste! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks yummy! Would like to try making them. But may I know why is the milk powder added into the wet ingredients, instead of being added together with the dry ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chui Kiang, the milk powder is added to wet ingredients so it can dissolve thoroughly before adding to dry ingredients. Otherwise if you don't mix thoroughly at the later stage, you might end up with a mouthful of milk powder! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I have tried baking the cookies, but it turned out to be quite soft instead of crunchy. I think I must have spend too much time mixing the ingredients that the cornflakes have become soggy even before i placed them in the oven..:)

    ReplyDelete