Saturday, February 7, 2009

Petit fours

Valentine's day is in a few days. February 14. I decided to go with the theme and bake something. So I tried making petit fours (mini servings of cake). I love miniature things. Small portions are just right. Because it's easier to serve and you don't have to force yourself to eat large pieces. Each piece is like a taste test for your taste buds. If you don't like it, don't eat another. Simple as that. Plus, everyone knows good things come in small packages! :D

My cake didn't rise as much as I would have liked though, but I did have fun decorating. It was very therapeutic using the fondant and decorating with coconut or white chocolate. I'd very much like to try this again. :) Perhaps with different cake, decorations and designs. I can't wait!

They look like chocolates, don't they? Hehe~ :P


Chocolate petit fours
Makes about 28

2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/3-1/2 cup sour cream (~100ml)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp red food colouring

fondant (I used a box of Orchard Icing chocolate fondant 500gm)

50gm butter
1 cup icing
2 tbsp cocoa

1/2 cup dessicated coconut

40gm white chocolate, for decoration

In a mixing bowl, sift flour, cocoa and baking powder.
In another bowl, whisk egg and sugar. Add in milk, sour cream, vanilla and red food colouring.

Add the wet mixture into the flour and mix with a wooden spoon.

Pour into a greased or lined baking pan. (I used a slice pan)

Bake in a preheated 165C oven for 30mins or until cooked (poke to test).
Transfer onto a cooling rack to cool.


Slice cake into little cubes.

Roll out fondant as thinly as possible. About 2mm thickness.

In a bowl, make the buttercream by mixing the icing sugar, cocoa, milk and butter.

Slice each cake cube in half and spread with buttercream. Spread the sides with buttercream also. (This helps the fondant stick to the cake)

Cut a piece of rolled fondant and wrap each cake cube. Cut off excess fondant if required.


I actually ran out of fondant so I dipped the rest into coconut. (So they resemble lamingtons now. Haha..)


Decorate the fondant covered ones with white chocolate. I just melted the chocolate in the microwave for about 25 secs and then put it into a plastic bag where I nipped off a corner very slightly.

Refrigerate when not serving.

Somehow overnight, the buttercream kinda melted some of the fondant. So you get this gooey chocolate when you take a bite..

Next time I think I'll try making my own fondant.


I like the coconut ones the best. Perhaps because it's not as intense in sweetness and because it was the most simplest to make.

14 comments:

  1. These petit fours look scumptous! I love them because you get a good bite of something delicious but not enough to feel guilty, unless you eat too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute! they could definitely be wrapped up like a box of chocolates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of wrapping them in fondant... ohhhh the messes I've gotten into by dipping and trying to get them off the fork!! They look lovely and your lamington ones are makin' me homesick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great and have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the kind comments! :)

    Small servings are the best when it's something rich and sweet like this. The sweetness didn't come from the cake though. It was the fondant and buttercream.

    To solve the gooey chocolate oozing problem, just pop them into the freezer. Apparently they turn into a whole different yummy frozen dessert. (Says my sister who tried it)

    Are you an Aussie, Cake Artisan?
    I never really knew that lamingtons were Australian. I should have made lamingtons on Australia Day. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so delicious and absolutely cute. Love the decorations, even the coconut ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When it says "1 1/2 baking powder", is that teaspoons?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, yes. Sorry!
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder.
    I'll alter the above. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. how much milk do u need to put to make the butter cream

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh. About 1/2-1 tsp or so, until you get a smooth thick consistency. It cannot be too liquid though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmmm...e milk isit tt HL kind of milk???

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanna try out for my kid.
    Very lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute! I love petit fours.

    ReplyDelete