Friday, April 10, 2009

Looks can be deceiving

I decided to make a cake for a birthday. But I think I overmixed it, and didn't beat my egg whites enough.. So it had risen and then flopped when it came out of the oven. Boo. :(


But after decorating it, you can't quite tell. Haha. Looks can be deceiving..

And why is the cake intensely yellow? Well.. it's a durian flavoured cake. Haha. :D

Durian cake
Makes a large round cake.

1 1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup corn flour (I ran out of corn flour, so I only had a little less than 1/2 a cup)
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
4 eggs, separated
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp durian paste (I think 1/2 tsp is sufficient as the paste is quite strong)

Preheat the oven to 175C.

Sift the flours and baking powder together.

Mix egg yolks, milk and durian paste. Combine with the flour mixture.

In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks are formed. Then gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks are formed.

Fold the egg whites into the batter gently and uniformly.

Pour into a lined/greased springform pan.

Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked.

Allow to cool before decorating.

Durian whipped cream

500ml thickened cream
4 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp durian paste

Whip all the ingredients together until stiff peaks can be formed. I usually use a whisk, but today I tried using an electric mixer. It worked and I saved time and energy. :) (I've never used an electric mixer to whip cream before..)

Assembly

Cut the cake into three layers.

Spread cream between the 3 layers, one at a time. Then spread the remaining cream on the top and sides of the cake.

Sprinkle the sides with diced almonds and the top with shredded coconut. (Optional and variable).

Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight before serving.


See how dense the bottom layer was because it sank? :(

1 comment:

  1. looks great nevertheless, and durian! sounds sinfully good :)

    ReplyDelete