Sunday, March 8, 2009

Hotcakes

Scotch pancakes, hotcakes, whatever you'd like to call them.

These were 2hr+ hotcakes. Haha.. XD

I wanted to try these pancake rings that I got from Daiso. (You could use them to cook some eggs as well..). I got the star one whilst I was in Malaysia and the heart one when I was in Singapore. Made no difference where I was to get them really, as either locations sold both. Well.. they had actually run out of the heart shape at the Malaysian store when I was in there. So I had to get it when I was to Singapore instead. :)


Soft and fluffy hotcakes
Makes 8 (~12cm diameter) hotcakes and 12 smaller heart or star shaped


2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp baking soda

2 cups milk and
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
4 tbsp sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix cream of tartar with milk. Leave for 10mins.

In a mixing bowl, sift flour with baking soda and sugar.
Add in milk, vanilla essence and egg. Mix.
Leave for 10mins.

Sparingly butter/margarine a non-stick pan on first use and after a few uses.

On fairly low heat, add batter to the pan:

For the pancake shapes, grease the rings with some margarine/butter before each use and add 1.5-2 tbsp of batter per ring (should be 1/2-2/3 filled. The hotcake will rise so if you put too much, you'll get overflow).

I started out making these until it got too time consuming as they're quite thick and take a while to cook completely. It took a few attempts before I got the perfect shapes you see in the photos. Haha. The ugly ones were eaten along the way. :P (You need to know that they're cooked before you try and flip them.. thus preventing shape distortion.)


Heart shaped hotcakes.


and..


Star shaped hotcakes.


I only made 12 shaped ones and then moved onto making normal hotcakes without the rings (which were faster and easier to make).

For normal round hotcakes, spoon 3 tbsps of the batter into the centre of the pan. Note that this will take a shorter amount of time to cook as it's thinner.


Serve warm, as is or with any toppings you wish. I had some plain and with apricot jam. :) They're nice and crisp straight off the pan with a soft fluffy eggy inside. Yum~

This one was a star shaped hotcake. It wasn't as soft as the normal shaped ones (below) though. I think it was because it didn't have enough time to rise as I didn't want them to burn.

Normal round hotcake. Soft and fluffy yumminess! :D

This was supposed to be breakfast. But by the time I finished making them, it had turned into lunch. Haha.

6 comments:

  1. Pancake cantik dan cute. Kalau kak idah mahu cuba buat gunakan star mould seperti ini tidak kah batternya akan meleleh keluar dari acuannya. Atau batternya mesti pekat sedikit.
    Tks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm.. Sorry but I'm not Malaysian/Indonesian.. So I wouldn't be able to read that..

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was making pancakes just yesterday!
    i had work early in the morning (7am) but was craving so i made some! i didnt give myself enough time and was late to work and rushed to only eat one. BOO

    i wanna try your recipe! with the vanilla! and tartar! mine was plain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so adorable! It seems so fun and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. time for me to bump up pancakes in my to-do list :)

    ReplyDelete