Sunday, May 24, 2009

Blueberry pancakes

I've had a craving for pancakes for the past fortnight. And I finally made some (when I was supposed to be studying..). I used the same recipe as the banana pancakes that I made last time, with some ingredients replaced. This time, I made blueberry pancakes! Now, with these pancakes, I reduced the amount of sugar to compensate for the custard that was to be served with it. So the pancake by itself isn't all that sweet. It tastes best with the custard and extra blueberries. Mmm.. custard and berries!


Blueberry pancakes
Makes about 12

1 tsp cream of tartar
1 2/3 cups milk

2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup strawberry yoghurt
1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed

extra blueberries, for serving
custard, for serving

Mix cream of tartar with milk. Leave for 5 minutes.

In a large mixing bowl, sift flour with baking powder, sugar.
Make a well in the centre and add the milk, egg, yoghurt and vanilla extract.
Mix until well combined.

Let the mixture sit for 10-15mins. Add in blueberries gently.

Grease a pan with little margarine and quickly add 3-4 tbsps of the batter into the pan.
Cook on med-low for a few minutes (watching for bubbles appearing and batter setting, as well as checking the bottom to see if it's burnt), before flipping the pancake over.

The pancakes should rise and feel soft and fluffy.


For the custard, I used 2 tbsp vanilla custard powder, 1 tsp sugar and 1 cup of milk, microwaved. It was a tad thick so I had to stir in extra milk. I think it would have been even better if it was more of a pouring custard consistency though.

Serve the custard warm and throw a few extra blueberries on top. :D


1 comment:

  1. These look absolutely amazing! I will definitely try this recipe for my boyfriend :). Awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete