Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Still steaming away..

I.. tried making 'pak thong koh'. It's a yeast risen steamed rice flour cake that tastes.. like wine/alcohol. Mmm. I love that taste! (And no, I'm not an alcoholic!).


Except, it didn't turn out as well as I wanted it to. I made a mistake of not refilling the water in the steamer and so it kinda dried out midway (I smelt something burning.. yeah, it was the pan -__-). So when I removed the tray, it sunk. Ahhhhh!! I know it had risen earlier because I saw it doing so! Sigh.

Oh well. The taste is the same. It just.. isn't so soft and doesn't have the honeycomb texture. :(

It's simple to make, but the fermentation takes a while.. so I actually ended up steaming this at about 10:30pm because I forgot to prepare earlier. Haha.

Pak thong koh
Makes a lot of servings..

400gm rice flour
2 tbsp tapioca flour
400ml water

2 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp lukewarm water
pinch of sugar

400ml water
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp pandan essence

Combine rice and tapioca flours with water until a paste is formed.
Boil 400ml water with the sugar and pandan essence until all sugar is dissolved.
Pour into flour paste and mix.
Allow to cool slightly until just warm.

Prepare the yeast with 1 tbsp lukewarm water and pinch of sugar.
Add to final mixture.
Cover with a cloth and allow to rest for about 7 hours.

Pour into a lined tray/pan and steam on high for about 30-45mins or until cooked.

Allow to cool before slicing and serving.


There was some honeycomb texture.. but only around the edges because the middle sunk before it got completely cooked at the high temperature. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment