Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A little bit of sanity

I've regained a little bit of sanity from baking. :)

No weird mixtures, not a weird concoction. Just plain chocolate. Lindt dark orange chocolate, that is.


Orange Intense chocolate cupcakes
Makes about 48 baby cupcakes and a mini heart shaped cake.

100gm Lindt Excellence Orange Intense Dark Extra Fine Chocolate, finely chopped

1 3/4 cups plain flour
1/4 cup corn flour
1/2 tbsp baking powder
2/3 cup baking cocoa

2 eggs
1 2/3 cups milk
100gm butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar

Sift flours, baking powder and cocoa in a bowl.

Cream butter and sugar, then blend in the eggs and milk.

Add liquid mixture into dry flour mixture.
Add in the chopped chocolate and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.

Scoop into paper cases or into greased pans.

Bake at 170C in a preheated oven for ~12mins (baby cupcakes) and ~18mins (for the mini heart cake), or until cooked. (Use a toothpick or similar to poke the center of the cake. If it comes out clean then it's ready!)

Allow to cool before decorating/serving.

The cake goes great with some vanilla ice-cream, though you wouldn't eat the whole mini cake by yourself..

And even the baby cupcakes can be made into chocolate cake sandwiches. Haha.
Not my hand. Not my cupcake. Not my idea. :P

The cupcakes by themselves don't have an extreme sweetness to them, and the consistency is similar to a mud cake. You can taste the orange chocolate and can physically find them in little pieces as well. It all depends on your taste buds but I prefer not to have the buttercream icing. I need to find a good recipe for it because my buttercream likes to melt.. I just threw the buttercream icing together as I went along. Haha

Chocolate buttercream icing
Enough to spread about 40 baby cupcakes.

1 cup icing sugar
2 tsp cocoa
3 tsp milk
1 tbsp margarine

Mix all ingredients together until a smooth paste is formed.
Decorate as necessary with an icing bag/tip.


I would have decorated them further with sprinkles and such, but I really just didn't have time. :( I really wanted to make them prettier though!

Well, the cupcakes are all gone now. I had brought about 24 to uni and forced people to eat them (sorry if they didn't taste that great.. but thanks to those that helped me be rid of them! ), gave some to relatives and the rest were eaten by family.

I'll improve the recipe next time, and create a better icing also. There's always room for improvement, you know. I've yet to perfect anything.

Next up, a birthday cake. A cheesecake, I think.

2 comments: