Thursday, January 22, 2009

Kiwi-berry yoghurt oat muffins

Gold kiwi fruit.. I love it.
Green kiwi fruit.. not so much.

And gold kiwi fruit are more expensive than green. :(


I decided to try gold kiwi in muffins. Something new that I've never tried. I mean, it's not normal to find a muffin with gold kiwi in it. So here I go again~ I basically used the same recipe as Three berry yoghurt muffins, but now with oats and kiwi fruit instead (and less oil!). Therefore, these are healthier too! :)


Kiwi-berry yoghurt oat muffins
Makes about 15 normal muffins

1 cups plain flour
1 cup ground oats (or you can use oatmeal. I used rolled oats, which I ground with a coffee grinder)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/3 cup sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla extract
7 tbsp milk
1 egg, lightly beaten (I used left over egg from green pea cookies)
1 cup strawberry yoghurt (I used Yoplait Lite - Strawberry, but you can use any yoghurt)
1 tbsp corn oil (After my long search for corn oil, I finally found it at an Asian grocer!)

4 large gold kiwi fruit, cut into 16ths

some margarine for greasing (if required)

Preheat the oven to 180C.

In a mixing bowl, sift flour, oats, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and sugar.
Mix with a wooden spoon, then create a well in the center.
Add in yoghurt, milk, egg, vanilla extract and corn oil.
Mix until smooth and combined.
Add in kiwi and gently fold them in until mixture seems uniform.

Lightly grease baking trays or line muffin tin with paper cups.
Spoon batter into muffin pans - 85-90% full.

(I used silicon muffin moulds - square base and flower shaped. Aren't they just the prettiest of colours? :D)

Bake for 20minutes or until cooked. (Do a poke test in the center of a muffin using a toothpick to see if any batter comes out. If toothpick comes out clean, then it's cooked)
Remove from oven and let cool for a minute or so before transferring onto a cooling rack.


Serve as is, or sprinkled with icing sugar.


They may seem to look uncooked in some parts, but that's because of the wet kiwi fruit pieces that keep that area dense. I actually quite like these. They had a slight kiwi tang and weren't too sweet. A good healthier option to baking. ;)

1 comment: