Saturday, February 7, 2009

Coconut vanilla cookies

Putting my heart into every cookie. :)

Following the theme of Valentine's day, I decided to make heart cookies.

(I got these wooden dolls from Hong Kong last year. I love them! :))


Coconut vanilla cookies
Makes about 13 large thick cookies.

1 cup oats, ground (I used a coffee grinder)
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup dessicated coconut

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 brown sugar
85gm butter, cubed
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp red food colouring

In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, ground oats and baking powder. Split the dry mixture into 2 bowls.

In another bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add in egg, vanilla and mix.
Split the butter mixture into the 2 flour bowls.

Add red food dye into one bowl.

Add coconut into the other bowl.

Mix bowls separately and form a dough for each.
Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours.


And now you're ready to mould your design out. Just like play-doh.

I had a hard time doing this. Though I did hope for the best and wished the design wouldn't deform on me.. Here's how it looked rolled up:


Refrigerate for a few more hours or overnight.

Then slice to bake. Now to see if my design was ruined..

Nope. It was actually quite okay. Though the coconut didn't really help with the texture. It was partially crumbly and hard to slice. So be careful when slicing.

Pretty crumbs. Hehe~

Place cookies on a baking paper lined tray.
Bake at 175C in a preheated oven for 12 minutes. (Time will depend on the size of your cookies. My cookies were quite big and thick)


Transfer onto cooling rack before storing... or giving them away.


The cookies are soft on the inside and taste coconutty/vanillary/buttery. I'm not quite happy about the cookie dough texture because I like to be stingy on the butter. You see.. I'm afraid of butter. So I like to reduce it. I think these would have been easier as cut out cookies instead. But I wanted to make this design. The last time I tried this was with checkerboard cookies. And I actually made a mistake in the design. See if you notice why. Haha.

8 comments:

  1. Hi! Just found your awesome site and I"m so excited to see some great Asian recipes! I love those taro buns! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I get you on the reducing butter thing. I love your tightly wrapped clingform cookie dough. The results are smashing too ;-) Can't wait to see more of this stuff, less butter still looks good eh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww they look so cute and sweet! Putting the heart in the middle must be hard. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How crazy- just last night I was thinking about making a slice-and-bake cookie with a heart design in the middle! Cool! They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a cute idea, as an alternative to those store bought Pillsbury slice and bake ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look wonderful, and just like the Pillsbury ones, although I'm sure they taste much better! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments everyone! :) I'm just glad the hearts didn't deform on me because I was applying so much pressure compressing the roll of dough. (I had to be sure the dough wouldn't crumble on me when I was to unwrap it the next day. Hahaha)

    I didn't know what the Pillsbury slice and bake cookies were since they don't sell them (I don't think) over here. So I had to google them up. Wow! Their slice and bake heart cookies are really nice! Makes mine look so.. crap. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. They turned out perfectly! I am going to save your recipe..and the dolls are very very cute too!Thanks!

    ReplyDelete