Thursday, May 6, 2010

Shoooo!

My first attempt at choux. I used to call it 'chox' before I knew it was pronounced as 'shoo'. I like to read things in English, the way it's spelt. Haha.

Anyway, it was a success! Very tedious, but I had a lot of fun along the way. Next time, when I don't have ganache and cream that I really wanted to use up, I'm going to make a croquembouche! One made of mini choux balls. :D Then I can have fun spinning sugar~ Hehe.


My mini chocolate eclairs and standard profiteroles. (The 2 mini profiteroles were devoured before a photo could be taken.. :P They were quite adorable actually!)


The ones that aren't covered in chocolate ganache are just filled with chantilly cream. I have to admit that I actually ran out of creme patissiere because I over pipped my first few choux out of excitement. -__-

Choux pastry
Makes about 24 standard

150g plain flour
16g sugar
100g butter
250ml water
4 eggs, lightly beaten

Sift flour with sugar.

In a large saucepan, melt butter in water over low heat. Bring up to a boil when the butter has completely melted. Turn off the stove.

Add the flour to the butter, mixing to form a paste. The paste should start looking like a dough and the edges should come off cleanly from the sides of the pan. Leave to cool slightly for about 15mins.

Preheat oven to 220C.

Make sure the mixture is slightly cooled before adding eggs. Slowly add eggs while beating the mixture. Beat until smooth and glossy.

Pipe mixture onto lined baking trays.

Bake for 10 minutes at 220C, then for another 10mins or so at 180C.

Remove from oven and allow to cool.

My choux babies grew! I'm so proud of them!

And then there's the odd one that likes to deflate after cooling. -__- No problem here though, as when you end up filling it, it grows again! Weeeee~ :)

I piped 24 small choux cases. Then couldn't be bothered anymore. So I tried making some mini eclairs and ultra mini choux balls. I guess I would have been able to make about 3-4 more small choux casings if I wanted to, if I had been bothered. I actually quite prefer these instead of the normal choux. Miniature things are always yummier! :P


Creme Patissiere
Makes enough to fill 24 choux cases

5 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
25g corn flour
25g plain flour
125g sugar
500ml milk
chantilly cream (i just hand whisked together about 250ml of thickened cream, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 4 tsp sugar, but that made way too much!), about 4 tbsp

Whisk egg yolks with sugar until pale and thick.
Heat milk on low until just boiling. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
Add egg sugar mix to the milk, then stir in the flours.
Beat over low heat until mixture thickens.
Cover with clingwrap and allow to cool before using.


When cooled, beat whipped cream through for a lighter smoother paste.


Pipe into choux pastry cases.
Cover with chocolate ganache if desired. (I had ganache left over from last time)
Or cover with toffee to give it a crunch. ;)

Refrigerate when not serving.


Placing each profiterole in a cupcake casing prevents the chocolate ganache from sticking to each other. That, and it's easier to pick up and eat from. :)


And my mini eclairs are filled with creme chantilly. :)

2 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks really delicious! I love your recipes here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I too used to call it chox, they should spell stuff like you say it. They look great nice work.

    ReplyDelete