Sunday, January 11, 2009

The cake I did not bake

My sister baked a cake. She wanted to try making a sponge cake because we had cream left over in the fridge... and my cherries from NYE cherry picking.


The cake looked okay. Was slightly dry, but had a nice crunch on the edges. The cream was.. well, let's just say it didn't look like cream. By the time I came downstairs to see what she was doing, it looked like.. ricotta cheese. Hahaha.


It was edible. And half the cake has been devoured by 3 people (mainly 2 people actually). So it must have been good right? Well.. my cherries are in it. The very last of it. Plus, there was no oil or butter added to the cake! So it was somewhat healthier.. though the cream would have evened it out.


Look at all the cherries! Yum yum! Plus, look at the size of those cherries! I picked the very best, I did. :)

Oh. And I was at work when she made the sponge, so I didn't see the process of her making it. But this was how she did it:

Sponge cake
4 eggs, separated
2/3 cup plain flour
1/3 cup corn flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 180C.
Add vanilla to egg yolks.
Sift all dry ingredients twice.
Beat egg whites until stiff peaks. Gradually add sugar.
Beat in egg yolks.
Fold in sifted dry ingredients and pour into greased springform pan.
Bake for 40mins or until cooked. Cool cake on cooling rack before slicing into layers or decorating.

The cake was gigantic. It had 3 layers, with cream, fresh cherries (not that fresh as they were picked on NYE, but still fresh!) and sprinkled with icing sugar.


I'd like to make a sponge cake myself one day. I've never tried it. But one day.. :)

Now to drink lots and lots of hot jasmine tea to wash it all down. Gotta love my tea. I recommend drinking hot tea (it has to be hot, not luke warm or warm) after eating anything creamy/oily/sweet. It helps cleanse your insides. And I know, I'm a tea addict. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment