Friday, February 6, 2009

Apple and custard sorbet

Yup, that's right. Apple and custard sorbet!

I had purchased a Sunbeam Snowy Frozen Dessert Maker over a year ago. And never used it.


It was on sale so I bought it. I had purchased it a week or so before my trip last year so I never got a chance to use it. But last night.. I tried it out. Haha. It's so cool! (no pun intended). The canister had been freezing in the freezer for a few weeks now and it was just taking up space in the freezer. 'Time to use it!' I told myself.

Apple and custard sorbet
Makes about 800ml - 1L

4 Red Delicious apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 tsp sugar
some water, to sprinkle
3 tbsp water

1 cup milk
2 tbsp vanilla custard powder
1 tbsp sugar

Lay apple slices on a lined baking tray (I used a slice pan lined with baking paper).
Sprinkle with water and then with the sugar.


Bake at 165C for about 45mins until cooked.

Remove from oven to cool.


Dissolve custard powder in 1/4 cup of milk. Boil remaining milk with sugar in a saucepan. Gradually add custard milk whilst mixing constantly.
Simmer until thickens. Leave to cool slightly.

In a blender, add the baked apple and 3 tbsp water. Blend. (You may need to mash up some of the apple before it's willing to start blending).
Add in custard and blend until mixed.
Leave to cool.

Pour into ice cream machine as per instructions. Mine took about 45mins to get to an thicker frozen consistency though it wasn't as frozen as it should be. It was probably because I added the mixture when it was still warm rather than cooled. (I assume the custard would have hardened if the mixture was cooled before adding to the ice cream machine..)

Scoop into an airtight container and freeze overnight.


I could have made it creamier like ice cream by adding thickened cream to the mixture, but I didn't have any on hand. But I'm still happy with this result. Hehe. Yummm! It's like an apple and custard pie.. that melts in your mouth~ :)

I know, there's 3 apples left still. They're just sitting in the fridge... for now :P

No comments:

Post a Comment