Thursday, July 9, 2009

Clafoutis or flognarde?

Apples. I've been thinking of what to do with all these apples.

We have a lot of apples.. (You'll see plenty more apples). Haha

I've been wanting to make a clafoutis for a while now. I was supposed to make it when I had all those cherries from the cherry farm last year. But I never got the chance to.

According to Wikipedia, it's a French custard-like dessert traditionally made with cherries. And if any other fruit is used, it's called a 'flognarde'. Personally, I prefer 'clafoutis' (pronounced clafouti) as it sounds less harsh than flognarde (which sounds like it's associated with the art of whipping). :P


It's easy and simple to make. What more can you ask for?

Apple clafoutis/flognarde
Makes a 24cm diameter dish

2 3/4 small fuji apples
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup plain flour
3 tbsp sugar
sprinkle of cinnamon powder

Peel and slice apples. Place in a baking dish. (I used a 24cm diameter Pyrex pie dish, that I just bought today! Hehe).


In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, vanilla, baking powder, flour, sugar and cinnamon.
Pour over apples.


Bake in a preheated 180C oven for 35-40mins or until cooked. (Mine rested for 10mins or so before it went into the oven. Purely because something else was already baking in there.)
Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.


Serve warm/hot, perhaps with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream!


1 comment: