Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lemon strawberry yoghurt muffins

This is the last thing I bake until the end of February. :( Boo. I wonder how I'll ever survive? And then uni starts again.. so I'll have even less time. The weekends shall be my baking refuge! (Unless I have to work then. Which would suck.)

But nevermind that. I'll be gone for about 2 weeks. I may or may not find the time to post anything whilst I'm overseas. I'll be taking heaps of photos in KL and Sg (of food included of course!). I'll blog about them if I find the time. Otherwise expect to see lots of photos when I get back. ;)


Lemon strawberry yoghurt muffins
Makes 12 standard muffins

2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup sugar

1 egg, lightly beaten
7 tbsp milk
1 1/4 cup strawberry yoghurt (I used Yoplait Formé Strawberry yoghurt)
2 tsp lemon essence
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp corn oil

Preheat oven to 175C.

Sift and mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar in a large bowl.

In another bowl, mix egg, milk, yoghurt, lemon essence, vanilla extract and oil until combined.

Add the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix with a wooden spoon. Your batter should be not too thick and not to thin.


Scoop batter into greased muffin pans or line them with baking paper. (Bad idea to use cupcake cups as there is very little oil in this mixture. You'll see what happened to my muffins further down.)


Bake for 18mins. Remove from oven and onto cooling rack.

Lookie! I have muffin tops! Yay! :D

And here's my attempt at removing the paper casing..

Where'd all the strawberry pieces go? I saw a lot of them when I scooped the yoghurt out.. :(


Failed. Completely. I already knew this would happen though. I was supposed to cut baking paper instead, but I couldn't be bothered. -__-

I need to drill into my head that batters with little to no oil/butter should not use these paper casings!!


Oh well. It's fine. Again, there's not much sugar added to this so it isn't too sweet. It's a good change from the rich bakes (petit fours & coconut vanilla cookies) that I had made recently. Though.. I do wish I had some fruit to actually throw in, like blueberries.

I still like the muffins because they have a lemon flavour to them (in which I was craving for. Unfortunately, the lemons from the lemon tree in the backyard aren't ripe yet either. So I had to use lemon essence instead. Regardless of that, I still got the lemon flavour!).

Mmmm. Lemon muffins. Yummy! :)

7 comments:

  1. I love the flavor of lemon in things like muffin and cupcakes and such. So very, very tasty. :] You should chop up some strawberries and stick them in there! And by the way, I LOVE muffin tops, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful looking muffins! They look so light and fluffy! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries if you can't find the strawberries! There has to be one or two in the batch somewhere. They look really airy and light. Perfect for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look incredibly fluffy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious. Very light. Id love one with coffee for breakfast, OK, 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe!! Can I ask a question?
    If I am using actual lemon juice... how much should I add? Thanks!!!I made it today!!:):) I added 3 tsp of lemon juice... but no lemon taste came out :(:(:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll probably need to grate in the lemon zest to actually get the lemon flavour in them. Try grating in one whole lemon.

      Delete