Thursday, February 5, 2009

Spinach and cottage cheese triangles and vol au vents

And this is what I bought the cottage cheese for. I was supposed to use ricotta cheese, but then I bought cottage cheese instead. It looked like it had practically the same texture anyway. Didn't really make a difference. So here it is. Spinach and cottage cheese triangles and vol au vents. The vol au vents were purchased from the supermarket and all I did was fill them in. Vol au vents are small cases of puff pastry that are filled with something savoury and served as canapé/finger food.


Spinach and cottage cheese triangles and vol au vents
Makes 27 small triangles, 4 large triangles and 6 vol au vents

150gm baby spinach leaves, chopped roughly
600gm cottage cheese
1/2 red onion, diced (I used the leftover onion from yesterday)

salt and pepper, to suit taste

6 vol au vent casings
4 sheets of frozen puff pastry, thawed (I used Borgs 30% reduced fat puff pastry sheets)

In a large mixing bowl, combine spinach, onion and cottage cheese. Add salt and pepper to suit taste.


Cut the puff pastry sheets to however you like. I cut 3 sheets into 9 squares per sheet (to get 27 small squares) and 1 sheet into 4 squares (to get 4 large squares). Do not be greedy with the filling as it will ooze out and not close properly (I had a problem with this. I think the small triangles are too small and there's so little filling..)

(Use the tip of a fork to make indents to ensure closure of the pastry)

Fill the vol au vents with spoonfuls of the mixture.


Bake at 165C in a preheated oven for about 30-40mins or until golden brown.


Serve immediately.

See how the small triangle barely has any filling?

... whereas the vol au vent has plenty!

As you can see, I actually prepared more than was baked. The rest are put back into the freezer so that when someone wants to eat them, they can just thaw and bake them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment